Tuesday, January 13, 2015

From Wash Tub to Kitchen Island


So this is what I brought home a couple of days ago. Mr. Magazine gave me that 'what are you up to now' look.
No I'm not planning on washing all the clothes by hand, I had something else in mind.


I really needed a small kitchen island and I knew I could make this work!

For this DIY project you will need...
******************************
*an old or reproduction wash tub
try looking on craigslist or Amazon
or your local Hobby Lobby.

*scrap wood, we used 2x6's and 1x4's
or get some from Home Depot or your local lumber yard

*nails, we used our nail gun

*stain, we used Minwax Dark Walnut from Home Depot




Measure your tub and add enough for an overhang of 3" on each side.
The bottom layer was built using 2x8's held together with two rails fit to set inside the tub,  then nail six 1x6's (depending on the measurements of your tub) running the opposite direction to the top of the base.



The top can be lifted off to allow for storage inside.

Perfect for all those cookbooks!
Did you know you can make your own recipe books on Shutterfly?



Once your top is built just set in place. It should be secure with little to no wiggle room.


Just what I had in mind. Perfect!


A little staining and
 I thought it was done....
but it was missing something....
a bottom shelf!

Here it is with the shelf added and accessorized with some goodies. I also dry brushed some ASCP in Old White to the legs.


An old tray fit perfectly and added extra storage and display space.





An old scale and spool of twine added to the old kitchen feel.
I'm really happy with this new addition to our kitchen.






The handles on the tub make handy towel holders.








Love it!


See more posts on the washtub/kitchen island HERE




38 comments:

  1. Love what you have done! It is functional and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and is functional! Love it! The handle being used to hold a dish towel is so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just adorable in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, This is beautiful. Your kitchen really looks like a farmhouse. You do such beautiful decorating! I always look forward to seeing a post from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this! What is the little tree in the pot? Looks great there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! And it makes me miss the wash tub I had at my house in TX. The mover busted it and I was so sad. I too had it in the middle of my kitchen!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! The tray is perfect and the towel on the handle is just right. Thank you Teresa for thinking about my suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea! Love what you have done in your kitchen, looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is adorable! I never would have thought to do that, but it is just perfect! http://sweetparrishplace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you have made this into such a great functional piece. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just such a perfect island - love everything about it ( extra storage in the tub can't be too shabby either ! )
    Beautiful job !
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping over from Kim's to say how much I LOVE your wash tub island! I just may copy this idea in the future, but first have to find a wash tub!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super creative, functional and looks amazing...love this idea!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your wash tub island in your kitchen!! It has a great farmhouse feel to it.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you did with your wash tub. It looks great in your kitchen. I'll have to see if I can find one too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this adorable upcycle project, so darn cute and unexpected,...pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do I love this--oh let me count the ways! Thanks for linking up to Vintage Inspiration Party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ingenious!!! You did an awesome job and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE this creative idea! The shelf underneath and the towel holders just takes it over the top. We hope you are able to share with us.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I absolutely love it. Great job. Looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing! I love your blog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I have a galvanized tub similar to this one. Mine has a hole in bottom middle for a drain, i should still be anle to use it. Yours is gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...